In previous posts we have talked about machine learning and how it is influencing our daily lives. In this opportunity, we will go a little deeper and explain the difference between machine learning and deep learning.
The first thing is to clarify that both are specific branches of artificial intelligence (AI). We will remember that machine learning uses mathematical algorithms that allow machines to learn. This is an analytical way of solving problems through identification, classification, or prediction. Algorithms learn from input data and then use this knowledge to draw conclusions from new data.
How could we define them?
Now, what is deep learning? This is a branch of machine learning called deep learning. As a concept, it is really very similar to machine learning, however, the difference lies in the algorithm it uses. On the one hand, machine learning works with a regression algorithm or decision trees, on the other hand, deep learning uses neural networks that work in a very similar way to the biological neural connections of our brain.
What is the difference between machine learning and deep learning?
At first glance, machine learning and deep learning mimic the way the human brain thinks. However, their main difference lies in the type of algorithm they use to carry it out. Although deep learning is more similar to human learning because of its functioning as neurons. Machine learning tends to use decision trees and deep learning neural networks, which are more advanced.
In short, the main differences between the two are:
- Machine learning uses algorithms to analyze data, learn from it, and make decisions based on what is learned.
- Deep learning structures algorithms in layers, to create an artificial neural network, which can learn and make decisions on its own.
- Deep learning is a branch of machine learning and, although both fall within artificial intelligence, deep learning goes much further, seeking to emulate the way humans learn.
How important are machine learning and deep learning for companies?
Nowadays, companies are beginning to consider the use of artificial intelligence as a way to solve problems on a daily basis. Regardless of the sector, activity or size of the company, the implementation of this technology has a positive impact on its efficiency.
On the other hand, companies usually work with a large amount of data and recognize the importance of machine learning and dead learning when managing it. That is why, to finish, we will leave some advantages of artificial intelligence in these branches:
- Speed in data processing and identification of relevant information.
- Precise analysis of consumer behavior.
- Fraud detection and prevention.